Busy few months…
It’s been a really busy few months since I completed the Hollyoaks Laters score. It’s been brilliant to have so much work, it just means it’s taken a while to update the website with everything!
My showreels have now been updated as well with the HL music and other projects I’ve worked on over the last few months as well, have a look on the Video page.
Following on from the HL score, I worked on some tracks for EMI/Sony ATV production music which has been a really exciting opportunity. You can hear them now on the Audio page. It’s quite a long process going from idea/brief, through the composition and editing, to the final mixes being ready, but it’s been very enjoyable and I’m really happy with how they turned out. It was great getting the live drums recorded for “Friends” which really added an exciting energy and feel to the track. I’ve had that song idea for a while as a demo, so it’s always really satisfying to take a demo idea to completion as a full song.
They’ve all been specifically designed to work for TV/Film and visual media, an area I feel really comfortable with. It helps knowing how to structure the tracks, making sure the rises/falls and edit points are in the right places and getting a balance between the type of sounds and frequencies that work well on-screen.
I’ve also been working with a few independent app and game developers, creating SFX and music for their releases. It’s been loads of fun adapting my skills and experience from other forms of media to work on these. I was lucky in that the people I’ve been working with have been quite clear in the type of sounds they wanted, and it’s been great digging deep into the sound-design features of Ableton to really manipulate the audio in an original way.
It mainly involves experimenting with stretching/resampling/distorting/reversing/chopping and layering waveforms and sounds and then using lots of automated filters, envelopes, bitcrushers and saturation to colour the grouped audio, whilst making sure the SFX and music carry a clear melodic/harmonic theme which makes sense across the different parts of the app. You can hear some examples of the main musical themes I’ve been doing for the apps on the Audio page as well.
I’ve also been enjoying doing some mixing and mastering for other artists and bands, which is refreshing because it involves collaboration (a valuable change when you spend a lot of time composing on your own on short deadlines!) and tests your skills in terms of adapting your knowledge of plugins and production processes to other people’s recordings.
Talking of plugins, recently I’ve been really impressed with Izotope Trash. The saturation is really warm and easy to customise, and works well on synths/drums/vocals or even as a slight binding distortion on the master bus. I’ve also been using Izotope RX3 to get rid of some pops on some synth tracks that I’ve been having problems with for ages, and have been really impressed with the speed with which you can put together string parts using Cinematic Strings 2.0 as well. It’s incredible the sounds that modern media composers have at their disposal, if you imagine a sound, you can normally make it with a bit of effort!
I’ve been listening to a lot new music as well recently, been particularly enjoying Mogwai – Rave Tapes, Olafur Arnalds – Broadchurch and the new albums by Bombay Bicycle Club, Chvrches,Warpaint and Daughter.
I’ve got loads of exciting work coming up in the next few months,and I’m really looking forward to the rest of 2014, please get in touch if you want to discuss any music/sound design that you need for an upcoming project!